Friday, March 6, 2009

A bike ride to the supermarket

There are these faint memories you think of when you wake up and you're convinced it was all a dream - not much to bother with. Or even more likely, you wake up remembering absolutely nothing.

Luck or no luck, this didn't happen to be my case. As a matter of fact it was the first thought I woke up with: how would stroopwafels and chocolate go together? (The chocoholic I am I admit it's not hard for me these kind of things.)
Taking action, I slipped out of the bed, showered, ate breakfast and stepped onto my bike a few minutes later. I decided I'd go to the Lidl, a cheap grocery store, and buy some stroopwafels and chocolate to experiment with. Tourism detail: the Lidl is situated close to the Haagse Markt, a traditional outdoor market where people from all kinds of backgrounds meet and sell their stuff. It's a pleasure to be there although it didn't turn out to be the best place to learn Dutch, Tracey found out. Whenever she tried to buy something while speaking Dutch ("Hoeveel kosten deze tomaten?") the answer was always in English, no exception. Bummer!

So back home I started experimenting, putting melted chocolate (white/dark/milk) all on one side of the stroopwafel and then letting it sit in the fridge for a few minutes. Not much later it was confirmed that the very first test was a hit ... it was a go. Probably better that I didn't know I would do this same kind of experimenting for the whole 6 months after that ...

No comments:

Post a Comment